Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Olympian Brittany Viola 'diving for the Lord'

LONDON (BP) -- At 15, American Brittany Viola thought she wasn't good enough to be one of the top divers in the world because she didn't look the part.

The young diver had been given an opportunity to train with Laura Wilkinson, the best diver in Viola's event at the time (and a former Olympic gold medalist).

"As we trained together, I was also surrounded by some of the best divers in the world," Viola, now 25, recalled. "I was only two years into the sport, so I wanted to know how I could become the best. One of the things that I saw was that these girls were in really good shape, and I had a little bit of a different body image than they did."

Viola committed herself to losing weight and modeling what the other divers looked like. That commitment led to an eating disorder that plagued her for years until she became a Christian in college, and God's grace helped her overcome it.

"I've moved a very long way," said Viola, who will compete Wednesday and Thursday (Aug. 8-9) in the 10-meter platform diving competition in London. "It's not something that's completely invisible from my life. It definitely still remains. It's just not even close to the extremes of what it used to be. It's something that the Lord keeps pulling me out of with His truth, and I'm able to move further and further away from it with Him."

READ MORE 

No comments: