Monday, March 15, 2010

Landlord Give Kidney to Tenant

Click to read original article from Kare11.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- A Minneapolis woman feels her landlord gave her a "second chance at life" by donating his kidney to her.
Sherry Hanson, a mother of six suffering from kidney disease, spent three days a week at dialysis during the past few years.  But all of that changed in late February after she got a new kidney from landlord Dan Hunt.
"I can't even say what I could call Dan," Hanson said.  "He just gave me a life again."
For the past four years, Hanson has lived in a south Minneapolis home that is owned by Urban Homeworks, a faith-based housing organization.  Hunt is the housing director there.
After one of Hanson's potential donors had to take her name off the list last summer, Hunt offered to get tested. 
"If I'm a match, you can have my kidney," he said at the time.
After learning he was a match, Hunt didn't hesitate to keep his promise.  The transplant took place last month at Hennepin County Medical Center.
Hanson spent a couple weeks in the hospital and finally left last Monday.
"I'll be out jogging pretty soon," she said with a laugh.
Hunt spend a couple days in the hospital and missed five days of work. 
"It was so easy, honestly, for me that it makes me wonder why more people don't do this," he said.
After such an incredible gift, Hanson said she cannot do enough to thank Hunt. 
"Thank God," she said.  "Thanks, Dan."

No comments: