Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mother and Daughter Reunite with each other through Facebook after 32 years



An emotional reunion 32 years in the making came about thanks to Facebook.
Sonya Brown had to give up her baby for adoption and had not seen her since."I just want to put my arms around her because I never ever got to hold her. They took her from me," Brown said. "And I just tried to block it out all these years."Brown said the state of Kansas made her give up her child because she was 15 years old when her daughter was born.Decades later, the two women found each other on the Internet."When I was on Facebook, her picture came up. And I looked into her eyes, I knew that was my child. I knew it was her," she said. "I sent the message first. And she sent a message back saying, 'Oh my god, are you serious?'"Emily Singleton said she knew she was adopted at a young age and always wondered about her birth mom. She said she was overwhelmed when she received the message on Facebook."I was hoping it wasn't a joke," Singleton said.Singleton flew from Kansas City to Jacksonville to meet her mom for the first time. The two women hugged and will spend time getting to know each other."I don't think I have any words right now," Singleton said. "I'm just really happy right now. It's been a long journey."Singleton has a few kids of her own and Brown says she looks forward to meeting her grandchildren sometime this summer.

No comments: