Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Violinist Continues to Play After Losing Shoulder To Cancer


click to read original story from ABC Action News

ODESSA, Fla. - When Joe Ginem plays the violin, nothing else seems to matter.

"It's definitely my biggest passion."

Joe was coming into his own as a musician when four years ago, at 15, what started as a sore arm and shoulder turned out to be a rare form of bone cancer. Joe had Osteosarcoma. "When my arm finally gave out, I couldn't even pick up a pencil."

During a tough year there was no music for Joe. Just hospitals, surgery and chemotherapy. But he wasn't giving up. Not on his arm, and not on his violin.

"At one point I said to him it's not even about the arm anymore. You gotta save your life. And he just kept saying no, I know I'm going to play. And I need that arm," said a tearful Peggy Ginem, Joe's mother.

Treatments at Tampa's Moffit Cancer Center were successful, but John's shoulder had to be reconstructed. And there was a choice to make.

"My surgeon gave me the option of being able to make daily tasks easier or being able to play the violin better and I chose the musician route," said Ginem.

No comments: