Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The 12 Best Pro-Life Statements From 2012

The following are the 12 best statements from 2012, as compiled by pro-life writer and attorney Kristi Burton Brown at the Live Action blog:
1) Affirming that we never need to give in on matters of principle and life, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, on the contraceptive mandate in ObamaCare:
The only thing we’re certainly not prepared to do is give in. … Not violate our consciences, and not obey what we consider to be something immoral. That we’re committed on.
2) Reminding us that our position on life defines our society, Senator Marco Rubio, at the Susan B. Anthony List annual dinner:
The issue of life is not a political issue, nor is it a policy issue, it is a definitional issue. It is a basic core issue that every society needs to answer. The answer that you give to that issue ends up defining which kind of society you have.

Congressman Paul Ryan
3) Hitting a home run on faith, science, and ultrasounds, Congressman Paul Ryan, during the vice presidential debate:
I don’t see how a person can separate their private life from their public life or their faith. Our faith informs us in everything we do. My faith informs me about how to take care of the vulnerable, about how to make sure that people have a chance of life.
Now, you want to ask about why I’m pro-life. It’s not simply because of my Catholic faith. That’s a factor of course. But it’s also because of reason and science.
You know, I think about ten and a half years ago, my wife Janna and I went to Mercy hospital in Janesville where I was born for our seven week ultrasound for our first born child, and we saw that heart beat. Our little baby was in the shape of a bean, and to this day we have nick named our first born, Liza, bean.
4) Taking a courageous stand on the reality of modern science and innocent life, Canadian MP Stephen Woodworth:
Don’t accept any law that says some human beings are not human beings! No Member of Parliament should remain silent in the face of any law that says some human beings are not human beings.
Now there might be some people who can convince themselves that a child magically transforms into a human being when their little toe pops out of the birth canal…However, I’ve concluded that modern medical science will inform us that children are in reality human beings at some point before the moment of complete birth.
History is littered with disastrous examples of laws which pretended some people were not human beings to achieve some desired result or suit someone’s philosophy…Just laws must be based on accurate evidence, not arbitrary lines unrelated to reality. If there’s no objective criteria for who’s a human being, then personhood and the fundamental rights that go with it can be defined in any way any powerful person or group decides. Is that the Canada you want?
5) Personalizing the issue and demonstrating the true strength of women in the face of adversity, an anonymous mother who wrote her story, “My Miracle Baby,” on the Embrace Grace blog:
It wasn’t until I met Bryan when everything changed. He was supposed to end up being a one night stand but the plans changed. I happened to get pregnant with a miracle baby. … In the back of my mind, I kept thinking, what if God is giving me a miracle baby to help me? What if this time, a baby would change everything? All of these thoughts went through my head as I sat there and listened to Bryan talk down to me about the pregnancy and how big of a mistake it was. I just sat there let him go off on me but when he was done, it was like God lifted me up and spoke for me. I said, ‘I am keeping this baby and there is absolutely nothing you can do nor say that will change my mind.’

READ MORE

No comments: